Thresholds Health Literacy Center
Simple tools. Healthier lives.
The Thresholds Health Literacy Center (HLC), funded by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR, 90DPHF0001), focuses on health and wellness among individuals with serious mental illness who live with other co-occurring disabilities and physical health conditions. The HLC has a specific interest in health literacy and promoting wellness as a means to enhance mental health recovery, function, and community participation.
The research and developmental activities included in the HLC focus on three projects:
Project 1 is an exploratory longitudinal study of chronic physical health conditions among individuals with psychiatric disabilities, focusing on health screening and management of chronic health and utilization of health services over two years.
Project 2 focuses on improving health literacy and promoting wellness among individuals with psychiatric disabilities and workforce providers. This second project builds on findings from the longitudinal health study to develop, evaluate, and disseminate a comprehensive, coordinated series of health literacy and wellness promotion modules and tools. These materials integrate components specifically relevant to illness risk and health management for the target population and the behavioral health workforce.
Project 3 focuses on developing, pilot testing, refining, and disseminating state-of the-science skills modules focused on promoting health, improving wellness, and addressing needs related to reproductive health, sexuality, and sexual behaviors among diverse individuals in recovery.
Download free materials from the Thresholds HLC and visit our online health webinar library at the links below:
Thresholds HLC Health Awareness Tools
(all files are downloadable PDF)
- January is Cervical Health Month: Supporting Individuals in Scheduling & Attending Pelvic Exams
- Heart Healthy Habits
- Colorectal Cancer Screening & Prevention for Individuals with Serious Mental Illness
- Alcohol Awareness for Individuals with Serious Mental Illness
- Men’s Health: Recommended Schedule of Screenings, Well-Care Visits & Vaccinations
- Meal Planning & Budgeting on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits
- Immunizations and You
- Suicide Awareness Among Individuals with Serious Mental Illness
- Strategies for Promoting Mental Illness Awareness in Your Community
- Feeling Targeted by Big Tobacco?
- 10 Ways to Reduce Nicotine Cravings
- World AIDS Day Awareness
- Get to Know Your Kidneys
- Trust Your Gut: Promoting Good Gastrointestinal Health
- Mammography & Breast Health
- Chronic Liver Disease & Liver Health
- Why Should You Drink Water?
- Staying Safe During COVID-19: Daily & Weekly Activities
- Pain Management
- Respiratory Health
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Self-Care Routines
- Covid Vaccination Member Fact Sheet
- Cognitive Health and Older Adults
- Depression, Anxiety & COVID-19
- UIC COVID-19 Impact
- Impact of COVID-19 for People with Substance Use Conditions
- Impact of COVID-19 for People With Mental Health Conditions
- Taking Time to Relax and Rejuvenate
- Summer Safety
- Media Literacy & Your Health
- Variants of COVID-19 and Safety
- Employment & Health
Thresholds HLC Webinar Library
- Celebrating World Health Day!
- Hypertension Awareness
- Sun Health & Summer Safety
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Diabetes in the Mental Health Community
- Glaucoma: The Silent Thief of Sight
- Understanding Sleep and Sleep Wellness
- Preparation for a Colonoscopy
- Exercise & Healthy Eating: Eat Well, Move More, Live Longer
- Cognition, Alzheimer’s Disease and the SMI Community
- Environmental Health and YOU
- Oral Health